The University of Connecticut (UConn) and the University of Washington (UW) are jointly forming an NSF Research Center for Smart Ocean Technology. This Center is affiliated with the NSF Industry & University Cooperative Research Program (I/UCRC).
The vision of the Center is to create a major North American and Global Center for Smart Ocean Technology Research. Our mission is to develop transformative technologies to realize true ubiquity and high confidence in observation and exploration systems for the water world.
The scope of the Center research encompasses diverse interdisciplinary areas, ranging from ocean renewable energy systems and underwater acoustics to maritime security and ocean data visualization.
- 06/11 - The Center's work involving the Arctic Polar Cap is featured in UConn Today.
- 05/16 - The Center's University R&D Booth at the Offshore Technology Conference (OTC) was featured on EKT Interactive.
- 05/05-05/08 - The Center will host a University R&D Booth at the Offshore Technology Conference (OTC) in Houston, Texas. Stop by and learn about our exciting projects! --ALL OUR PROMOTIONAL ITEMS GIVEN OUT AT OTC CAN BE FOUND HERE: LINK--
- 01/08-01/10 - Center staff participates in the 2014 NSF I/UCRC Annual Meeting
- 12/01-12/07 - Dr. Carolyn A. Lin, Associate Director of UConn's Smart Ocean Technology Research Center, visted Zheijian University in China. Dr. Lin gave an opening remark at the First Annual Ocean Culture and Industry Strategy Conference. She also discussed developing future collaborative projects with Dr. Ying Chen (Dean, Ocean Technology College) and Dr. Wen Xu (Chair, Ocean Engineering Department).
- 09/23-09/26 - Center hosts Information and Recruitment booth at MTS/IEEE OCEANS'13 San Diego.
- 08/22 Ocean-TUNE system is deployed into the Long Island Sound for use with Center research activities. Details can be viewed here.
- 06/10-06/12 - Center Planning Grant Workshop. Details can be viewed here.